How to Eat Healthy and Keep Your Willpower in the Face of Summer BBQsPosted on May 31st 2011 10:00AM by That's Fit Editors
If you are like me, you have an abundance of knowledge about the evils of sugar but guess what? Sweet tooths don't care about knowledge. If this rings a bell for you, then you need to devise a picnic plan so that you can think outside the picnic basket for the season's food-filled festivities.
Firstly, do not depend on your willpower to resist forbidden food. Willpower weight loss is almost impossible unless you are anorexic. Therefore, you must have a picnic plan. Having a plan is the key to losing weight.
It is also unrealistic to avoid wonderful gatherings like holiday picnics. Life is meant to be lived and just saying the word "picnic" makes me happy. So go, but bring along these slick tricks for
All you have to do is devise a specific plan that spells out what you can and cannot have. You can then set yourself up for success by doing the following:
1. Find out in advance what food will be at the picnic. If there is nothing healthy for you to eat, bring something that fits that bill.
2. Drink a huge glass of water before arrival and have a healthy snack of some veggies. This will make the picnic pies look less appealing.
3. Sit down to eat.
4. Chew each bite 20 to 30 times.
5. Do all the talking while everyone else eats.
6. Don't drink more than two alcoholic drinks and know exactly what non-alcoholic drink you will switch to.
7. Bring something delicious and low-calorie to drink throughout the picnic. This will help keep you feeling full.
8. Stand as far away from the food as possible. If you cannot reach it, you will not eat it. Do NOT sit down in front of the veggie nacho dip.
9. Find the skinniest person and sit next to them. Watch how they eat and try to eat slower.
10. Tell someone who loves you of your plan in advance and ask them to help you stick to it.
11. Bring a fun game so that eating is not the only activity available to you. Frisbees and kites are excellent compliments to a picnic. More activity usually means that everyone has more fun -- even the spectators
12. Throw out what is on your plate that you don't want to eat immediately. When you are finished eating, tell everyone you are finished. Throw your napkin on your plate, get up and grab the Frisbee. If you are throwing a Frisbee you cannot hold a s'more, let alone eat one.
13. Stay busy. If you are not a sunbather and there is nothing to do but eat, you will eat. If you can't find anything to do besides eat, it's time to pack up your basket and say your goodbyes.
14. Wear clothes with a snug waistband. You will get immediate feedback about when you start to stretch past your comfort zone.
These tips may sound silly individually, but using them together is a solid plan. In technical terms, it is called a countermanding action and it is directly correlated with successful weight loss.
These tips are boring but there's a reason you hear them over and over. They WORK. Imagine waking up Monday morning feeling like jumping on the scales and looking forward to seeing what you weigh. Now that's a feeling worthy of the summer season.
Make sure to follow Penny on Twitter @pennylovehoff or visit her website for more health tips.