50 Ways to Burn 100 CaloriesPosted on Feb 15th 2011 2:00PM by That's Fit Editors
What follows are some of the most creative and surprising ways that we could find to burn calories. Who knew fighting fat could be so much fun?
1. Slather on lip balm 765 times.
2. Relive the '80s: Lip-synch George Michael's "Faith" 16 times.
3. DVR an episode of "30 Rock" and watch it commercial free.
(Laughing for 10 minutes straight can burn 40 calories -- no joke.)
4. Watch a documentary like "Food Inc.," "The Cove" or "An Inconvenient Truth." (Serious stuff doesn't scorch as many calories.)
5. Wiggle while you watch TV for 40 minutes: Fidgeters burn up to 350 more calories a day than couch potatoes.
6. Get off your butt 33 times to change the channel.
7. Use the remote to channel surf for 68 minutes.
8. Surf for real for 34 minutes.
9. Fly a kite for 20 minutes.
10. Play beach volleyball for 13 minutes.
11. Bounce a volleyball on your knee 600 times.
12. Spend 17 minutes wrestling a beach ball away from your boyfriend.
13. Carry a cooler stocked with three bottles of water, a six-pack, four PB&Js, two oranges, a bag of tortilla chips and 12 servings of salsa for 22 minutes.
14. Find the perfect teeny-weeny polka-dot bikini: Try on 16 suits (one every three minutes).
15. Polka for real for 23 minutes.
16. Do the horizontal polka missionary style for one hour and seven minutes.
17. Spice things up with 35 minutes of foreplay and 45 minutes of sex in different positions.
18. Ride him like a cowgirl for 26 minutes (straddling requires more calorie-burning leg work).
19. Swing a lasso over your head 375 times.
20. Milk a cow for 34 minutes.
21. Shear three sheep (six minutes per sheep).
22. Fish for 41 minutes.
23. Make like a fish and swim at a leisurely pace for 17 minutes.
24. Do 250 breaststrokes (about 10 minutes).
25. Indulge your inner dork and do 27 underwater handstands.
26. Dog-paddle for 17 minutes.
27. Walk a toy poodle for 41 minutes (at 2 miles per hour).
28. Let a Great Dane walk you for 13 minutes (5 mph).
29. Learn to "walk the dog": Yo-yo for 25 minutes.
30. Alternate between cat pose, cow pose and downward dog 13 times, holding each for 30 seconds.
31. Walk up 33 flights of stairs.
32. Strap on four-inch stilettos and you only have to climb up 25 flights.
33. Hit the stair climber for 11 minutes.
34. Push a grocery cart for 45 minutes.
35. Put a 42-pound 4-year-old in the cart's child seat and push it for half an hour.
36. Opt for self-checkout: Wait in line for seven minutes, ring yourself up for another 10, bag your own grub and load up the car.
37. Carry five grocery bags from the car to the kitchen and put the food away, take out the trash, wash the dishes, and wipe down the kitchen counter.
38. Eat chili for a couple of days: Research shows that chili peppers boost your metabolic rate, burning 50 more calories a day.
39. Chew calorie-free gum for nine hours.
40. Wash, halve and seed two acorn squash, then watch them bake for 30 minutes.
41. Play squash for eight minutes.
42. Play "Chopsticks" on the piano incessantly for 41 minutes.
43. Eat four meals with chopsticks instead of a fork: Slowing down can help you consume about 25 fewer calories per meal.
44. Lift and lower a soy sauce bottle 170 times with your right hand and a wok 170 times with your left.
45. Take a leisurely walk in the park for 51 minutes.
46. Walk backward in the park for 43 minutes.
47. Walk with hiking poles for 22 minutes -- you'll burn 20 percent more calories.
48. Pole-vault for 17 minutes.
49. Sing the "Grease" original soundtrack from start to finish.
50. Degrease by scrubbing in the shower for 15 minutes, then spend seven minutes shaving, three minutes toweling off, four minutes moisturizing, and 20 minutes blow-drying and styling your hair.
For more ways to burn calories, check out the Women's Health Diet.