Our Reviewer Says ...
"Unlike fad diets that call for banishing entire food groups or subsisting entirely on soup, the 5-Factor Diet is a simple, practical plan based on sound science ..."
At a Glance
After shaping the bodies of Hollywood's A-list (think Jessica Simpson, Halle Berry, Eva Mendes and Benjamin Bratt), Harley Pasternak created the 5-Factor Diet, a plan that promises to reduce feelings of deprivation, increase satisfaction and help dieters lose weight. True to namesake, everything in the 5-Factor Diet is built around the number five. You'll eat five meals a day, consisting of five basic components, will take no more than five minutes to prepare, featuring no more than five core ingredients. Whether you select foods from the 5-factor food groups or follow the book's detailed meal plans, which include 100 pages of recipes, you get one cheat day per week.You'll also exercise five days per week with a workout of five exercises, each of which you perform for five minutes.
- Cost: Not much, barring the price of the book. The diet does not require costly specialty foods or supplements.
- Meals Provided: No.
- Diet Duration: Five weeks.
- Fitness Requirements: Yes. The 5-Factor Diet calls for specific workouts featuring five workouts a week with five exercises in five-minute phases.
- Time Commitment: Minimal. Meal prep takes five minutes or less (not including cooking time). Ingredients are easy to find -- five in each meal -- and each recipe requires five or fewer steps.
- Eating Out: Yes, provided you order items with all five necessary components (protein, low- to moderate-glycemic carbohydrates, fiber, healthy fats and sugar-free beverages).
- Alcohol: There is no mention of libations in the book. Instead Pasternak stresses drinking calorie-free beverages and water.
- Vegetarian-Friendly: Yes -- if you enjoy high-protein meat substitutes (one-third of 5-Factor calories must come from protein). And don't rely on nuts: Pasternak claims they contain a lot of fat and only low-quality protein.
- Strict/Flexible Eating Plan: Flexible.
The 5 Factor Diet
The 5-Factor Diet