Our Reviewer Says ...
"Take the Cabbage Soup Diet, substitute cabbage with a variety of other veggies and fruits, throw in an uncomfortable enema and you have the Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox."
At a Glance
Lose 21 pounds in 21 days. That's the big promise of the Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox, made popular by its celebrity dieters, including Howard Stern's sidekick Robin Quivers. In addition to weight loss, the plan also promises to deliver more energy, lower blood pressure, a sharper mind and a body cleansed of toxins.
On the program dieters have three choices -- either a two-day plan, a seven-day tune-up option or the full 21-day detox. The daily schedule for all three is the same. Your 8:30AM breakfast is a high-density antioxidant berry drink, an herbal cleansing formula, a cup of hot herbal tea and eight ounces of water (preferably distilled). At 10:30, you'll have eight ounces of water and eight ounces of hot or iced herbal tea. At 12:30PM, lunch consists of either one cup of fresh vegetable juice (made at home in a juicer) or a green drink (made from packets of powder), as well as another eight ounces of water, more of the herbal cleansing formula and an enzyme capsule. At 2:30, you'll repeat your 10:30 "snack." At 4:30, dieters have either a high-density antioxidant or berry drink. At 6:00, dinner consists of one cup of homemade cleansing soup, one cup of broth, one cup of herbal tea, more herbal cleansing formula, 8-ounces of water and another enzyme capsule. At 7:30, you'll have either eight ounces of water or tea. At bedtime, dieters take an aloe vera supplement.
For physical activity, followers of this plan are encouraged to walk one mile a day or bounce on a trampoline for 20 minutes. Those following the entire 21-day plan are also advised to have one colonic and one coffee enema each week. Dieters using the seven-day or two-day version skip the colonic, but are still expected to administer one coffee enema to help detoxify.
- Cost: Pricey. The entire diet hinges on having a juicer, which according to the book can cost between $35 and $500. Other expenses include buying enzyme capsules and plenty of organic fruits and vegetables, distilled water, colonics, enemas, body wraps and other spa-like treatments.
- Meals Provided: No.
- Diet Duration: Up to 21 days.
- Fitness Requirements: Dieters are encouraged to either walk one mile or bounce on a trampoline for twenty minutes a day.
- Time Commitment: Intense. Physical activity amounts to about 20 minutes a day, but expect to spend considerable amounts of time preparing juice and soup at home, and getting colonics.
- Eating Out: Impossible. The mainstay of the diet is homemade juices, soups and other drinks.
- Alcohol: None is allowed during any of the plans.
- Vegetarian-Friendly: Very. Dieters end up eating a minimum of twenty-two servings of fruits and veggies -- either in soup, juices or supplements.
- Strict/Flexible Eating Plan: Incredibly strict. Dieters are told exactly what to consume and when.
The Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox
21 Pounds in 21 Days: The Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox
Fitness expert Myatt Murphy is the author of the best-selling books, The Body You Want in the Time You Have, Ultimate Dumbbell Guide and The Men's Health Gym Bible.