5 diet tips, plus exercise, to keep you alivePosted on Sep 23rd 2008 8:00AM by Jacki Donaldson
First, I'm going to tell you what you should be doing. Then I'm going to tell you why you should be doing it. OK, here goes.
- Reduce your intake of dietary fat -- both saturated and unsaturated -- to a max level of 30 percent of total calories. You can accomplish this by limiting meats, trimming away its excess fat, avoiding fried foods, and cutting down on butter, creams, and salad dressings.
- Increase consumption of fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole-grain cereals. This will automatically increase your intake of these five nutrients: beta carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium, and dietary fiber.
- Only moderately consume salt-cured and charcoal-broiled foods, or ditch altogether.
- Only moderately consume alcoholic beverages, or ditch altogether.
- Eliminate from your diet these items: All salt except for what's found in food itself, all stimulants like coffee and tea, all refined sugar and flour, hydrogenated fats, pepper and other hot spices, foods containing artificial additives or preservatives, and all cured meats such as hot dogs.
Oh, there's one other thing you should be doing: Exercising. It does a body good.