The 5: Reasons to catch your Z'sPosted on Jan 2nd 2008 2:51PM by Chris Sparling
As a follow-up to my very recent post, offering some tips on how to get some sleep, I felt it was critical to reinforce the importance of adequate sleep.
According to the Harvard Women's Health Watch, here are 5 reasons why you should not scrimp on sleep:
1. Cognitive Function and Memory. Sleep helps the brain commit new information to memory through a process called memory consolidation.
2. Metabolism and Weight. Lack of sleep may cause weight gain by affecting the way our bodies store and metabolize carbohydrates, as well as altering hormones that affect our appetites.
3. Mood. Sleep deprivation may lead to irritability, impatience, inattention and general emotional malaise.
4. Cardiovascular Health. Serious sleep disorders have been linked to hypertension, irregular heartbeats, and increased stress hormone levels.
5. Disease. A lack of sleep can interfere with immune function. Conversely, studies have shown that adequate amounts of sleep may help reduce cancer risk.