Why does our weight go up and down almost daily?Posted on Aug 15th 2007 3:22PM by Rigel Celeste
Filed Under: Diet & Weight Loss
Does it ever seem like no matter how consistent or good you are on your diet the scale seems to go up and down, by just a few pounds, on an unpredictable basis like it has a mind of its own? You're not alone -- women the world over experience this same frustrating phenomenon. It can be due to any number of reasons, from hormones to something you ate the day before. According to Women's Health here are a few of the most common causes:
- You just drank a big glass of water. You can gain up to a pound instantly just by drinking 16oz of any fluid.
- You're constipated. Believe it or not as much as 2 pounds can be caused by this alone.
- You had an extra salty dinner last night (Chinese anyone?). Your body can retain as much as 2 or 3 pounds overnight trying to dilute all the sodium.
- You're on a vacation overseas. Taking a flight of more than 4 hours can cause your body to retain water due to the changes in air pressure.
- You're expecting your period. Hormonal fluctuations in the days right before your period can cause weight gain and bloating (I think we all knew about that one already).